Saturday, June 16, 2007

Annapolis (pair of) Peregrine Falcons

For the second day in a row, I was on a local cruising yacht in Annapolis performing music, this time with my band. Ah, the joys of being a birding musician.

In any case, the gig was going along well. Nothing new to report. I forgot the words to "Me and Julio." I've only sung it about two milliion times. When out of the gray blue sky, I noticed this amazingly powerful bird zoom over my head. It was a PEREGRINE FALCON. I had to finish the song, sure. But I also had to make sure I saw what I saw, so I skipped a verse and a chorus.

I looked up and spotted the perch where the bird had landed and my Suspicious Mind (another hit that the crowd just loves) was confirmed! It was indeed a PEREGRINE.

On the way back (see, we get to pass under the bridge twice on the trip), I planned accordingly and made sure I was in between songs to get a better view. Mickey, the drummer, yelled at me to look over there! Ah, better news: TWO PEREGRINE FALCONS!

The photo above is of the two PEREGRINES. The female is on the left, and the male is perched on the right.

I admit that I couldn't get a solid view of the second bird, so when the gig was done, I rushed over to a friend of mine's beach (with permission).

I have no photo skills like say a Bill Hubick (www.bill hubick.com), but I did manage a few ok shots: Peregrine Falcons.

On the way back to the car, I watched a Northern Rough Winged Swallow flying about, and a Belted Kingfisher literally wrestling with a fish in the shallow part of the nearby cove. I also enjoyed observing a Great Blue Heron fish like a true pro.

What a day! Now, I'm off to play Middleton Tavern. I doubt I'll see any great birds... so maybe I'll remember more lyrics.

Great birding all,

Dan

No comments:

The FatBirder's Nest
FatBirder Web Ring
Prev SiteRandom SiteNext Site
Linking Birders WorldwideJoin
Nature Blog Network