Thursday, July 3, 2008

Ravens, Falcons and Cleaning Up Your Bay

I saw a poll on WBAL Channel 11's 6AM news cast this morning while feeding now my 6-month old son Declan his mushed-up bananas. It read something like, "Do you think it's okay for the Baltimore Ravens NFL Football team to fly trained Ravens over the stadium during home games?" They were asking people to email their responses about how they felt about the idea and about PETA protesting the live birds at M&T Stadium. County listers, I don't think this would count. Anyway, my son and I were covered in bananas, so I couldn't email the station with my response hon.

And here is a somewhat bird-related idea for the coming weekend...

This Sunday is the Chesapeake Bay's Kennedy Fitzgerald Pick Up or Shut Up (July 6th, 2008). It is an annual event dedicated to cleaning up the Chesapeake Bay. I don't know exactly what it's about, but I'll be out on my kayak in the Severn River with my garbage bag cleaning up Weems Creek and the surrounding areas. If you have time on Sunday, perhaps you too might spend some time cleaning up a stream, tributary, or even the bay itself?

While I'm out there, I'll be sure to paddle over to the two Severn River Bridges. The local pair of PEREGRINE FALCONS have been using both bridges this summer for perching, hanging out, passing the time, etc. No nesting news available as of yet. If I find anything out, I'll be sure to let you know. The giant nest box that was installed this past winter has not been moved into yet. You can read all about that experience HERE.If you go to Jonas Green Park or the Severn Inn near the Naval Academy / Rt 450 bridge, look up under the span at all of the mounted lights. The male has been perched there on a few occasions under the highest part of the bridge. A scope would make this a more enjoyable experience.These two photos were from this past Saturday, June 28th.

Have a great 4th of July weekend. You should start your holiday by celebrating your independence from Rainwater Runoff. If you live in Anne Arundel County, get your RAIN BARRELS HERE!

Good Birding,

Dan

No comments:

The FatBirder's Nest
FatBirder Web Ring
Prev SiteRandom SiteNext Site
Linking Birders WorldwideJoin
Nature Blog Network