Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Sunday Brunch in Gloucester?

I've decided to take my family out for a scrumptious meal this weekend. But for some odd reason, I am craving REALLY FRESH New England seafood. Perhaps some succulent Lobster, best enjoyed with a stunning view of Cape Cod and the Atlantic Ocean?

PHOTO COURTESY OF BILL HUBICK

Ok, I admit it. I am really caught up in the excitement regarding a recently-reported rare bird: an IVORY GULL. It's an extremely infrequent visitor to the United States, especially the lower 48. This gull spends it's days and nights on the ice in the Arctic Circle feeding on Polar Bear kills and lemmings. (And for those of you interested in recycling, when the IVORY GULL is finished raising it's young, their sizable nests are eaten by Caribou.)

This past Friday, one IVORY GULL was found in Gloucester, Mass. And THIS JUST IN: Today (Tuesday, January 20th) a SECOND IVORY GULL was observed and photographed in Plymouth. Both birds are adults, with their famous pure, glowing white plumage.

So with our odds now doubled, the Haas family has HIGH HOPES that both birds will stick around through the weekend. Why? Well, on January 25th (this Sunday), my darling wife, adorable boy and I will depart from Baltimore at 9:05AM, arriving in Manchester, NH at 10:25AM sharp! We will start up our mid-sized rental car in world record time and venture off to go and find this amazing bird (hopefully lounging around it's famous and historic seaside town).

The weather geniuses are calling for 'abundant sunshine' in New England on Sunday. With highs in the LOW 20's, we will surely be shivering. But if we can see an IVORY GULL, it will be worth all of our efforts.

Maryland birders Bill Hubick, Mikey Lutmerding and Jim Brighton left for the frozen Northeast last Saturday night and drove through a snowstorm just to see this bird. They spoke highly of their road trip.

I even took the bold step of asking the BIRDCOUPLE to join us on our excursion. You should visit their blog and leave 'em a comment. Please put a little pressure on them to have lobsters with the Haas Family!

PHOTO COURTESY OF NIAGRAREGION.CA

Finally, should both IVORY GULLS up and disappear back to the North Pole, there have also been regular sightings of a NORTHERN HAWK OWL in the region. That Hawk Owl (is it a Hawk, or is it an Owl?) would be a life bird as well, and one superb consolation prize! Oh the thrill of an adventure.

Have a great week.

Dan

5 comments:

Dawn Fine said...

OH aren't you sooo nice...sunday brunch in gloucester...
sounds more like a crazy birder thing to me!
Have a great time...hope you see your target birdies!
I will go give a shout out to the birdie couple..tell them the brunch is amazing in Gloucester!

Nervous Birds said...

Thanks Dawn! I know Warren was in DC (probably still is) covering the Obama celebrations.

Who doesn't love a nice, fresh lobster every now and then? I like mine with melted butter and with just a touch of... uhm... uh... IVORY GULL!!!!

Have a great week Dawn!

-Dan

Christopher said...

Hey Dan,
So far you are in luck - both birds continue to be seen, and I am sure that there will be plenty of coverage of both well beyond your visit. If you need any additional directions of help in finding some of those birds, or even any additional locations to find other birds, drop me a line - I'd be happy to give any suggestions that I can.
Good luck - I hope you get great looks!

Nervous Birds said...

Thanks Christopher. I'll certainly check in with you later in the week, if that's okay. I'm following the Mass Birding Listserv closely, but if we have any spare time on our hands or if there are some spots worth visiting along the way, any advice / suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks!

Dan

Janet Egan said...

Hope you get to see the Ivory Gull. I saw it yesterday afternoon (Thursday). Awesome bird!

I kept hearing that there were people there from Maryland.

The weekend is supposed to be very cold, so pack your longjohns. And I highly recommend the hot chocolate at The Lone Gull (aptly named).

The FatBirder's Nest
FatBirder Web Ring
Prev SiteRandom SiteNext Site
Linking Birders WorldwideJoin
Nature Blog Network