Monday, May 11, 2009

Migrational Madness

May. It's the month for those in our region who love birds. The migrants arrive, our winter guests depart and the world is colorful again. Life, in an eggshell, is reborn.

May means warblers... and lots of 'em. Spring is often associated with a crisp color of light green. So new it's still shining from April showers. But for me, Spring is auditory mayhem.Every minute of the day, my ears are on... listening. In this case, it was a KENTUCKY WARBLER. In all cases, I am listening for the songs, the calls, the chip notes and the chattering of our newly-arrived guests.An OSPREY lands...An OSPREY stares. Her chicks are just about ready to hatch.

Here are a few of the more recent birds of note:A BLACK-THROATED GREEN WARBLER.SEEN TODAY AT ANNAPOLIS' TRUXTUN PARK.An OVENBIRD.Which is more intimidating?The COMMON GRACKLE above, or the one below?This GRASSHOPPER SPARROW was a real surprise in the yard.I spotted him when I was attempting to get a photo of yet another great yard bird, a WHITE-CROWNED SPARROW.A CHESTNUT-SIDED WARBLER.Not to go overboard on the Sparrows, but here is one more variety I've seen recently... a SEASIDE SPARROW at Sandy Point State Park.Not the most-frequented habitat for this sparrow, but a nice find nevertheless.I was at the park with Warren & Lisa Strobel (The Bird Couple) last week. Warren was kind enough to spot this WILLET flying over. Just to prove it's location, I took a photo of the bird with the Sandy Point Lighthouse in the background.Enjoy Migration! Next post (hopefully) will be riddled with warblers.Finally, I managed to snap a photo of this little guy lurking around in the Goldenrod. Still can't say for sure what kind of bird he is... only that he is the cutest, most adorable thing I've ever seen!

Best,

Dan

2 comments:

Warren and Lisa Strobel said...

Really nice pics. I love the Black-Throated Green. I think that last one is a Melodious Dec-Bird... rare species.

Wai Yien said...

OSPREY lands...is my favorite

The FatBirder's Nest
FatBirder Web Ring
Prev SiteRandom SiteNext Site
Linking Birders WorldwideJoin
Nature Blog Network