Monday, September 28, 2009

Fall Migration.

So here are a few birds recently observed. Thank you Matt Hafner for helping me with my identification skills.

Next three photos: VEERY.Next three photos: Acadian Flycatcher. Note the larger bill, primary projection, whitish throat and overall greenish hue.Next two photos: Chris Murray thought Gray-cheeked Thrush. I suspected Swainson's Thrush (wrong), but Chris pointed out that there is no pale spot in the lores. He is correct. Gray-cheeked Thrush. I found this blog this morning that has some nice side-by-side comparisons that make identifying thrushes much easier. It can be found HERE.The purpose of this blogging exercise is to become a better birder. One hopefully learns about particular identification point to key in on with certain species in the field. With experience and knowledge, these thrushes and flycatchers will become less-tricky to identify. The camera is a fantastic tool for honing one's skills. I'm enjoying the wisdom provided by careful examination of each photo.

As for the rest of these photos, let's start with a dragonfly that I photographed a short while ago at Piney Orchard Nature Preserve in Anne Arundel County. I know the bird isn't 'really' hamming it up for my camera, but from the looks of it's facial expression, I wonder. Note, I've not even begun to tackle bug ID's yet. With my son's fascination with things that crawl, fly, hop and flit... this 'learning about bugs' thing might come sooner than I think.The following three photos are of a COMMON NIGHTHAWK found by Mikey Lutmerding roosting in a tree at Prince George's County's migrant hotspot, Governor Bridge Road Natural Area.Here is the YELLOW-CROWNED NIGHTHERON that has been hanging around in the North Beach Marsh, just inside Calvert County. Oh so close to Anne Arundel!I'm going to miss all of the fly-catching birds, but not necessarily the flies and mosquitos!That's all I have for you at the moment.

Isla, Declan and Emery are all doing fantastic. Declan is really becoming quite the entertainer. Isla is beginning to smile and has (just today in fact) starting to really look at her Mom and Dad. Such wonderfulness.

We hope you are all well!

-Dan

1 comment:

Heather said...

Hi Dan. Thanks for the link to my bird ID post. Thrushes, warblers, flycatchers, even sparrows sometimes, can certainly cause some serious ID frustration. And I need so much practice. The more time I spend in the field though, the better I get. You've got a nice blog here. I hope you'll get some rare hummers late in the season with all the trouble you've gone to draw them in! Good birding to you.

The FatBirder's Nest
FatBirder Web Ring
Prev SiteRandom SiteNext Site
Linking Birders WorldwideJoin
Nature Blog Network