Saturday, February 13, 2010

Today's Forecast: Varied Thrush

Frank Marenghi and I drove to Herndon, Virginia to see a slightly-off-course VARIED THRUSH this morning. Typically observed in the Pacific Northwest, this bird has been frequenting a suet feeder in a neighborhood just outside of DC.

The homeowners were super obliging to the many birder guests present. They even had fresh coffee and donuts for us! I didn't partake, but was nevertheless impressed with that famous Southern hospitality. These photos below were taken on an overcast, gray morning through their kitchen window.

Impressive little bird. Enjoy!



Warren and Lisa Strobel said...

Dan - congratulations, and thanks for sharing the beautiful pictures. Lisa and I went to see it today - alifer on Valentines Day!!

W & L

Kristen said...

I had a Varied Thrush at my feeder today in northern CT. I have a few pictures on my blog too

There was an error in this gadget
The FatBirder's Nest
FatBirder Web Ring
Prev SiteRandom SiteNext Site
Linking Birders WorldwideJoin
Nature Blog Network