Friday, May 18, 2007

mmm, you should read my earlier post from this morning FIRST.

Ladies and gentlemen, the big news I wanted to share with you from earlier is that Emery and I are engaged! Yes, yesterday afternoon, after Emery had returned from the doctor's office (more on that later), I decided that the time was right... no the timing was perfect. I asked her if she would like to go for a walk with me and check on some of the boxes at Greenbury Point (not on the Golf Course side... she doesn't like the possibility of being whacked by a wayward drive on Top Flite!).

So, off we went to the known TREE SWALLOW box in order to check on Mr & Mrs. Tree Swallow. If you read the earlier post as requested, you would know that I wasn't really sure about the health and well-being of one of the birds. See, at the time when I last checked on them, the bird in the box was motionless. In any case, we sat on a bench located about 100 feet away from the nest box and talked. We chatted about our very good news (more on that very soon, I promise) and enjoyed the beautiful spring late afternoon weather. After a few minutes of Em and I talking and the Dad TREE SWALLOW flying about, out popped the Mom TREE SWALLOW from the box. Knowing that both were alive and well and caring for the soon-to-hatch eggs in the box, I felt the time was right. So, I got down on one knee and asked her to Marry Me. It made us both cry, and laugh, and smile, and laugh some more and it was perhaps the most poetic, beautiful experience I could've imagined for this question to be asked. This question that I've wondered my whole life about... how, where, when, why, etc... asking.


It was much, much easier than I ever imagined.


There is a beauty in the flight of a Tree Swallow, in the lines they possess, in the colors they reflect in their feathers, in their expression and in their calmness when held. I think they're perhaps my favorite bird. I hope that Emery and I reflect a similar beauty in our lives together. I am happy, thrilled and excited about our future together. Emery is full of joy as well.


THE EVEN BIGGER NEWS!


What's more, Emery and I are expecting a child in January. The little heartbeat now bopping away inside of her was a bit of a surprise... but a welcome surprise to be sure. I can't tell you the fullness that I feel inside already, knowing that fatherhood is fast approaching. So, we have both wedding plans and baby planning ahead of us this summer. We can't wait.


I thought you should know. I hope you are well. I look forward to seeing you soon.

-Dan

No comments:

The FatBirder's Nest
FatBirder Web Ring
Prev SiteRandom SiteNext Site
Linking Birders WorldwideJoin
Nature Blog Network