Thursday, October 11, 2007

White-Throats Whistling Again

I've been reading the MDOSPREY lately and feeling left out of the loop. Birders from all around the area have been posting sightings for the past week (maybe two) and I've yet to have heard a peep. It's as if the local flock of WHITE-THROATED SPARROWS, who regularly spend their cooler months around my yard, have been purposely ignoring the Annapolis area. At long last, that familiar song was heard once again while I was out walking Oiseau late yesterday afternoon. Being a musician, I welcomed this familar and quite catchy tune.

Sure, it's a sign of winter's inevitable arrival to Maryland, but it's also like a dear old friend coming back for an extended visit.

This weekend is going to be excellent for the birds. The weather has turned cooler, recent cold fronts have brought some great migrants into the Maryland area and on a personal note, I don't have any music gigs. (I do need to get back to the business of song writing very soon though...). Oh, and while you're in the yard around your homes, listen up for the White-Throats. I've heard that they're taking requests this year.

In other news, I've finally set up my BirdCam from WINSCAPES! (Thanks Bart for inventing/creating this very cool device.) I can't wait to catch that Yellow-Bellied Sapsucker on camera. But here now is a rarity... already! Yes, as you can see from the photo below, I've managed to capture the first sighting of an American Dodo! And people thought they were extinct... hah!


Good Birding,

Dan

1 comment:

Larry said...

I never believed that they were really extinct-I once had a close-up view of one as I looked out my rear-view mirror.

The FatBirder's Nest
FatBirder Web Ring
Prev SiteRandom SiteNext Site
Linking Birders WorldwideJoin
Nature Blog Network