Sunday, December 2, 2007

Blackwater Sunday

Being that the bad weather never arrived in Annapolis this morning, I thought that some afternoon birding was in order. All of the local bird walks were cancelled due to the forecasts. The forecasts were wrong.

Yesterday on MDOSPREY, there were reports of ROUGH LEGGED HAWKS and SHORT EARED OWLS at Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge, in addition to numerous BALD EAGLES and NORTHERN HARRIERS. The reports were correct. There were well over a dozen HARRIERS, in addition to two AMERICAN KESTRELS, three RED TAILED HAWKS and TWENTY or more BALD EAGLES. One juvenile eagle was so large and colored just so, I thought perhaps GOLDEN, but it was not to be.

The highlight of the day took place in the lowest light, at dusk. Ironic, isn't it? I got to see my very first ROUGH LEGGED HAWK, perched only inches above the marsh at the end of a dirt road called Cedar Creek. It was well worth the detour. As I scanned the horizon with my scope, I watched three SHORT EARED OWLS looping and flying in the distance. Two more NORTHERN HARRIERS patrolled the marshes here as well.

Nightfall approached and the rain began to fall at a steady pace. As the cold was just about to numb the tips of my fingers, I decided to start up the Volvo wagon. I safely made my way home to Annapolis in the rainy darkness.

So maybe the weather people weren't wrong, just off on the timing?

BALD EAGLES on the WILDLIFE LOOP

Two more BALD EAGLES on the WILDLIFE LOOP

I found this AMERICAN KESTREL hunting at the exit to the BLACKWATER REFUGE WILDLIFE LOOP.

I was really hoping for a shot of this falcon hovering. The sight of which is simply amazing to watch in the scope!

The lesson I learned today: don't let bad weather keep you from two life birds.

Good birding,

Dan

2 comments:

Amila Salgado said...

You hit the nail on the head; bad weather can be great opportuniies to bag good birds. Staying postive in such conditions is the key and good things will follow.

I started blogging recently. My bog is http://gallicissa.blogspot.com
Would you like to exchange links ?

Happy birding!

Nervous Birds said...

Absolutely. I look forward to reading your blog and I'm certain, learn a few things as well.

Thanks for the comment!

Dan

The FatBirder's Nest
FatBirder Web Ring
Prev SiteRandom SiteNext Site
Linking Birders WorldwideJoin
Nature Blog Network