Tuesday, December 23, 2008

New Species of Hummingbird?

So every fall and winter, I diligently put out several hummingbird feeders in hopes of providing a food-source for some wayward hummer from the West Coast of the United States.I have not one, but TWO of those famous BIRDCAMS mounted and ready to capture an image of any rarity that might stop by for a drink of my cool winter brew. It's a waiting game... not of months, but years. One must be extremely patient, well-stocked in the sugar department and hopelessly optimistic when it comes to attracting rare winter hummingbirds.

The neighbors all laugh. They think I've lost more than just my calendar!

But at long last, I think I've FINALLY got one. I mean... LOOK!Spectacular, right? Sure, this bird has a relatively short bill for a hummingbird. And yeah, it is quite large. The wing projection and plumage only add to the mystery! Maybe it's from the jungles of South America?I'm going to get my field guides out and try to figure out exactly what kind of nectar-drinking hummer this little bird is......and once I nail the ID, I'll be sure to let you know. Maybe it's from the North Pole?

Notice in this last photo how this peculiar little bird is flaring it's cheeks out and facing away from the camera? Well, I don't speak Portuguese, but I'm pretty sure that that's bird-speak for 'thank you for the nectar kind sir'.

And looking in the background, that reminds me... it's trash and RECYCLE night! I do love the holiday season.

Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas!

-Dan, Emery & Declan!

1 comment:

Dawn Fine said...

Yes i do believe you have a rare hummingbird...I have never seen one like that before...you certainly are very lucky..tee hee...

The FatBirder's Nest
FatBirder Web Ring
Prev SiteRandom SiteNext Site
Linking Birders WorldwideJoin
Nature Blog Network