Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Piney Orchard Nature Preserve

This past Labor Day Monday, I spent the afternoon hiking through Western Anne Arundel's Piney Orchard Nature Preserve. There have been reports of a RING-NECKED PHEASANT roaming around the place. That bird and I didn't cross paths, but I did see loads of Eastern Wood Pewees, Chickadees and the other expected avian transients and residents. A Barred Owl couple even hooted back for me briefly.

Here are some highlights:

A juvenile WHITE-EYED VIREO.An adult of the same species, with the stunning white eyes.A ROSE-BREASTED GROSBEAK.Same bird, new look!An Ovenbird.

In addition to these beauties, the highlight was a SUMMER TANAGER that perched for one brief moment on the very same snag that the Grosbeak was on in the above photos. It was pouring rain and I had my camera under my shirt to keep it somewhat dry, therefore... no pretty pictures to show for it.

Hope you are well.

Dan

No comments:

The FatBirder's Nest
FatBirder Web Ring
Prev SiteRandom SiteNext Site
Linking Birders WorldwideJoin
Nature Blog Network