Sunday, January 9, 2011

Iceland Gulls on Both Sides of the Bay Bridge

Saturday morning I made a trip out to the site of the old Hemingway's Restaurant to see if a recently-reported ICELAND GULL was still mixed in with the rather sizable flock hanging out on the East side of the Bay Bridge. Lucky for me, it was...The bird was a ways out in the water, but a great bird never the less.

Later in the day, I decided to check out Sandy Point State Park to see if that bird (or another) was on the Anne Arundel County side of the Bay. Again, as luck would have it, no sooner did I set up my scope did I find an ICELAND GULL bobbing out from the main point.It was kind enough to land very near the shore, as well as fly around the point a few times. I couldn't stay long, but I certainly enjoy my visit.From Cornell's website, ALL ABOUT BIRDS, they have this to say about ICELAND GULLS: "A pale gull of the north Atlantic, the Iceland Gull breeds in the high Arctic and winters south of the Maritime Provinces only in small numbers. The American race known as "Kumlien's Gull" is one of the most variable of all gulls in plumage characters, and no two seem to have the same amount of dark on the wingtips."
Good Birding,

Dan

No comments:

The FatBirder's Nest
FatBirder Web Ring
Prev SiteRandom SiteNext Site
Linking Birders WorldwideJoin
Nature Blog Network