Saturday, January 1, 2011

Anyone like to chime in on this gull?

I know, I know, I know... I should be more careful in the field when birding. This photo was taken today from my car at Bay Ridge. It is a private community and they really don't care for folks parking their cars and birding, fishing, visiting their beach, etc. But I go anyway because the ducks and gulls are great here. It's a risk I take...

And I visited this spot today, January 1st, 2011, to see what might be lurking about on the point.One bird caught my eye and I quickly snagged a few photos. Unfortunately, I lost the gull when I had to move my car. I suspect it is a HERRING GULL, but a few things about this bird grabbed my attention:The bird's head is really a nice, pure white. It appeared smaller and more rounded than most Herring Gulls. I thought most Herring Gulls start in on their breeding plumage around February. I could be wrong on that, and this could be a very normal plumage for this time of year. Most of the Herring Gulls had dirty heads. ; )Sadly, I did not get a look at this bird in flight, nor was able to snap a true profile photo that shows the bird's primary feathers. I think the bird, based on size, overall shape and bill is a Herring, but it never hurts to ask, right?I welcome your thoughts on this New Year's Day. Enjoy 2011!

-Dan

No comments:

The FatBirder's Nest
FatBirder Web Ring
Prev SiteRandom SiteNext Site
Linking Birders WorldwideJoin
Nature Blog Network